Houston Mediation Lawyer
Divorce & Custody Mediation in Texas
Divorce mediation is a means to sit down and discuss with your spouse and a mediator issues relating to a divorce such as spousal maintenance (alimony), conservatorship (child custody), possession and access (visitation), child support, and property division. Kay Polk, Attorney at Law can advise and assist you in selecting a Houston divorce mediator as an option if you want to mutually resolve your issues in a sensitive, non-judgmental atmosphere.
Mediation can be used for any divorce situation except for domestic violence, or if one partner has more power than the other. In Texas, the court calls for mandatory mediation for divorce that involves child-related issues such as custody and visitation, provided the spouses are represented by an attorney. There must be no abuse charges for mandatory mediation in Texas.
Pros & Cons of Mediation
Like any legal process, mediation has pros and cons. In our experience, the benefits typically far outweigh any disadvantages, but we are prepared to take our clients’ cases to court if this is in their best interests.
Mediation can offer the following benefits:
- Mediation is less costly and time-consuming than a litigated divorce.
- In mediation, there are no opposing sides. You work together to chisel out an agreement that fits your new lives, and the lives of your children (if you have any).
- Mediation resolves issues so you can file an uncontested divorce, where all parties agree on divorce-related issues.
- In mediation, the mediator doesn’t render a decision. The mediator facilitates an agreement between disputing parties.
- Mediation may be more effective because it is the result of agreements made by both parties, rather than a judge's decision.
Interested in learning more about Houston divorce mediation? Contact Kay Polk, Attorney at Law today.