Grandparents' Rights

Houston Grandparents’ Rights Attorney

Grandparent Custody & Visitation Rights in Texas

The bond between grandparents and their grandchildren is special and should be protected, and there are specific situations where the court may authorize conservatorship (custody), possession, or access (visitation) for grandparents. If you are a grandparent seeking custody or visitation with your grandchild or grandchildren, it is important to know where you stand. Houston grandparents’ rights attorney Kay Polk can advise you of your options and rights in this important situation.

Serving Harris County since 2000, Kay Polk, Attorney at Law has dedicated her legal practice to the full protection of her clients’ interests across all areas of family law. This includes grandparents’ rights. She can assist with cases involving grandparent conservatorship, grandparent visitation, and even grandparent adoption.

To learn more, call (713) 234-6260 or contact us online.

Grandparent Conservatorship

Conservatorship is the legal term for custody in Texas. This refers to a person’s right to make important decisions about a child’s care and well-being. While a child’s biological parents are typically given priority when it comes to conservatorship, there are instances where a grandparent or grandparents may apply for conservatorship instead. A grandparent may file suit requesting custody if the child’s parents have passed away, are incarcerated, or are unable to properly care for the child.

The court will only award conservatorship to a grandparent if it is in the child’s best interests. Having a Houston grandparents’ rights lawyer to present a clear and compelling case on your behalf can dramatically improve your chances at a swift and positive result to your conservatorship case.

Grandparent Possession & Access Rights

In Texas, grandparents may be granted visitation rights if it is in the child’s best interests and:

  • The parents have divorced
  • The parent/s have abused or neglected the child
  • The parent/s have been imprisoned
  • The parent/s have been found incompetent of caring for the child
  • The parent/s have died
  • A court order has terminated the parent-child relationship
  • The child has lived with the grandparent for at least six months

To find out more about visitation and custody as a grandparent, call (713) 234-6260.

Committed to Helping

You Face Divorce & Family Law Challenges 
  • Client Satisfaction, Communication, and Education is Priority
  • Exclusively Focus on Divorce & Family Law Cases
  • Access to a Wide Range of Resources to Creatively Handle Your Case
  • Over 18 Years of Experience Helping Hundreds of Families

Schedule Your

  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.