What is Parental Alienation?

When parents get divorced, it is easy for the situation to get messy and turn sour. In some cases, a parent may even try to turn the children against their other parent. Whether it be an act of revenge or a misguided attempt to win the children’s love, parental alienation is incredibly damaging. If you believe your co-parent is engaging in this sort of behavior, you may be able to take this matter to court, particularly if you are not receiving the visitation outlined in your custody agreement.

The Signs of Parental Alienation

If your children are acting out, it may not necessarily be the result of parental alienation, which is why it is important to be familiar with the signs. Divorce is challenging for children to process and cope with, so any of their mood swings may be the result of your split.

Here are some signs that can help you determine if your former spouse is engaging in parental alienation:

  • Your children always criticize you without any reason or ability to provide specific examples.
  • Your children only have negative feelings about you and never acknowledge any of the good memories they have of you.
  • Your children’s support for their other parent is unwavering.
  • Your children do not show any feelings of guilt for how they treat you.
  • Your children use words or phrases that seem too mature and may have been borrowed from their other parent.
  • Your children’s negative feelings are not only directed at you, they are also directed toward others on your side of the family, such as grandparents and cousins.

If your former spouse also tries to deny you visitation or allows the children to choose if they wish to visit you, you can and should take this matter to court.

Protect Your Parental Rights by Reaching Out to Our Experienced Attorney Today!

If you are being alienated from your children, this is a serious matter and you should seek the assistance of an experienced family law attorney. At Kay Polk, Attorney at Law, our family law attorney is dedicated to providing compassionate, skilled legal support. You can rely on our team to protect your rights as a parent and secure the best possible results for your case.

Reach out to our law office today at (713) 234-6260 to schedule an initial case review and learn more about how we can assist you.